Thursday, December 8, 2011

Teacher's Pet of the Cosmos?


I like to entertain and inspire myself by reading my horoscope. I'm an Aries and I like what they have to say about me... Energetic. Passionate. Playful. Adventurous. Fiery. Joyful. Dynamic. Assertive. Outspoken. Brave.

I'll take that.

This week, the writers over at DailyHoroscope told me that I'm the "teacher's pet of the cosmos right now."

I'll take that, too.

I don't believe that means things will suddenly be handed to me on a silver platter. It's like the universe has been saying, "Paint the fence. Up. Down." Being a teacher's pet means that I've been showing up, listening, and learning the lessons being taught.  This might be where I will use my hard earned new skills. Perhaps, there's a dramatic crane kick in my near future?

If I've learned anything from Mr. "The Cosmos" Miyagi, it is to play to your strengths, acknowledge your weaknesses, and work hard for what you want.

I've found that when you embrace your strengths, people are drawn to your positive energy. When you acknowledge your weaknesses, you can begin to search out ways to improve, drawing strength from others' successes and failures. Introspection and self-improvement are hard work. And this is a perfect place to slip in a favorite quote from the movie A League of Their Own... "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great." You may not see the great when you're sweating and crying, but feeling like the cosmos are ALWAYS smiling down upon you, you know you're doing something right.

I'm constantly telling my kids, "Good in = Good out." I firmly believe that if you make a conscious effort to do the right thing, even when it's not the easy or fun thing, the energy you add to life's song is beautiful and you get to hear it play back to you. You may not hear it right away, but the orchestra leader will bring it back in just when you need it.

This Thursday morning I get to sit at home in my baggy sweats and leisurely eat a yummy breakfast of oatmeal with bananas, pecans, and brown sugar. I've had a wonderful stranger, and her dog, knock on my door and hand me my son's lost wallet. I've enjoyed conversations with four of my best friends. There's beautiful music playing. I've had time to iron my son's outfit for his concert tonight, help a friend on a project, and vacuum. Before today is over, I will go on a walk, make a pre-concert dinner for my family, and check off a few things on my to-do list, including writing this post.

There's no doubt in my mind that I'm the teacher's pet of the cosmos. I just don't believe that it's only for right now. I feel like this through all the times of my life.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, other than right now I just feel so thankful for every. single. thing. in my life. I will be writing about these things - making the connections between the hard work and the payoffs - over the holiday season. Meanwhile, if you find yourself in a "Wax on. Wax off." moment, pay attention. Chances are, you're supposed to be learning something very important that will greatly benefit you in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Whow, second moist eye session. I don't often get to read this kind of expression. I know exactly what you are talking about. Even though I don't have a deliberate philosophy of a positive cosmos (what can I do, I'm a theoretical physics major) I've always observed how I evolve through life's difficulties and how even if I still haven't found what I really want to find (a loving couple) I just have so many moments where the greatness of this life far outweighs the suffering. The most important therapist that I saw for three years straight - she had learn Chinese numerology. She did my numbers and she said that everything made sense - I am one who searches out the most difficult things in life because I want to learn. I wish it wasn't true, but it is what it is and I can acknowledge that in my behavior - I can't help myself, when I'm too comfortable, I stir up the pot, and I suffer, but then comes the next level of existence and life feels even better.

    ReplyDelete