Friday, December 9, 2011

Give a Little Bit... of your Time


This morning, I had the pleasure of training a seasoned volunteer on a new Meals on Wheels route. He already drives two days a week, and now adding a third day on a new (to him) route. Meals on Wheels is a program offered through the Elderly Nutrition Program funded by the government, grants, and donations. It provides healthy meals delivered to seniors in the community.

When I realized that I would not be immediately returning to full-time employment, I decided to spend some of my time volunteering. A couple good friends of mine had been delivery drivers for Meals on Wheels in the past and told me that it was very rewarding to be a little dose of sunshine for these folks. Since I love being the sunshine, I signed up.

I filled out a form, sat through a short orientation, and was assigned a route and a day of the week. For the first few weeks, I had an "expert" tag along with me to guide me through the streets and explain the delivery procedure. After that, I was on my own. Quickly, I learned each person's personality and preference. There are some people that cheerfully greet you at the door, like Mr. J and Mrs. B. There are some people that hear you knock and tell you to come in and put the meal down on the table, like Mr. P and Mrs. H. There are some people that consistently greet you with an open door as you walk up to their home and make you smile with their cheerful, sunny disposition. There are some people that are not able to get to the door, so you just knock and walk in and bring the meal to them. And, there's some people that never want to see anyone, so you announce yourself, set the meal on the kitchen table, and hope you somehow brighten their day with your called-out well wishes.

It makes me happy to know that I am bringing a healthy meal and a friendly, human, smile to their day. In the short few months that I've been doing this, I've even noticed mood improvements in some of my "clients." 

Spending my time (one hour a week) with these folks - people who have or had families, careers, adventures - I have come to realize a few things. 

*I am Thankful* - All my life, in all of my families, I have been blessed to have elders, oldsters, grandmas, and grandpas. And, as they age, I am proud to say that the younger folks, without question, have taken care of them. All the generations of the family interact at family gatherings. When someone gets sick or frail, family steps in to take care of their needs and continues to love them and make them feel loved. 

*I am Surprised* - I am surprised by how many people don't have families like this. by choice? by accident?

*I am Stirred* - Knowing how many of us are fortunate enough to have working bodies, caring hearts, and extra time, I am encouraged to tell you about my experience and hope that it will send out a little spark.

*Spark* - Returning to full-time employment within a couple months, I realize that I will no longer be able to volunteer during the week. The Elderly Nutrition Program will need to find someone to fill my spot delivering healthy meals to local seniors one day a week. If you are unemployed or retired, please consider signing up. If you have a full-time job and aren't able to volunteer during the days, then perhaps in your spare time you can reach out to your own family members or neighbors. We all love when people acknowledge our existence. For our elders - people who are no longer in the social hustle and bustle - they really appreciate it. Drop someone a note, deliver some flowers, invite them over. You may be surprised at how enriching the relationship will be, for both of you.

For more information, visit http://www.elderlynutrition.org/ or contact me. Now please excuse me while I go call my grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment