Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Public Thank You for a Private Kindness

I know Christmas has long been over, but I still have a lingering "thank-you" that needs to be said. Most of the time when you receive a gift, you have the opportunity to thank the giver in person, or at the least with a phone call or a note in the mail. However, when it's a Secret Santa, it becomes difficult to express your gratitude. So here goes my attempt...

A few days after Christmas, when I opened my mailbox there was a very neatly addressed envelope inside. With perfect penmanship, this special someone wished the "Momma Hen & her chicks" a Merry Christmas. This special someone knows me well enough to have my address, a return c/o address for my local mom, and also that I have two wonderful boys and even knows about my chickens. Hmmmmmm.

Included with the blessings and wishes, were three gift cards - one for each of us. So far, I have used my Barnes & Noble gift card to "pay it forward" and purchased a couple single-parenting books for my niece. The remainder of the money will go toward my school textbook for this semester's class. Julian has decided on purchasing a few LMFAO songs with his iTunes money. No doubt, the water polo team's theme song, "I'm sexy and I know it," will be first on his list. He also said I could choose a couple songs (how sweet!). I plan on picking a few blues type songs that I recently read about in a book titled, "Bayou Underground." Reading that book made me crave the music. We share a family iTunes account and I'm thankful that we all bring different musical tastes and song requests for diversity. Brannen is still undecided on his song choices, but I'm sure they'll be a great addition.

Along with the sweet thoughts and the gift cards, this Secret Santa also gave me something else... a great idea! When someone is least expecting it, I hope to secretly bring some sparkle to someone else's day!

THANK YOU!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. My heart breaks. I had a poor childhood even though my father had quite a bit of money in Switzerland that was used to fund projects in third world countries. You were on your own and I feel like you created a lot of human goodness in your home.

    ReplyDelete